Rosh Hodesh Tamuz 5778– June 13, 2018
The Year in Review
We kicked off the year with our installation of new officers in September complete with apple, pomegranate and honey drinks and snacks. Following our theme of “not your grandmother’s sisterhood,” we engaged in the following:
- Sukkah decorating along with United Parents and Men’s Club
- Study of “The Prophetesses of Song” in preparation for Sisterhood Shabbat
- Transition House drive emphasizing gifts for teens
- An Evening for Torah Fund: FHJC Sisterhood Torah Fund get-together – our first evening Torah Fund meeting
- Book Discussion of The Beauty Queen of Jerusalem, led by Robin Skolnik
- Birkat HaBayit – Blessing our homes – Making chamsaot as gifts for our homes
- Arthur Szyk: Soldier in Art Exhibit – at the New York Historical Society
- Sisterhood Shabbat – with women responsible for all aspects of the service
- Tribute to Ruth Shulim z”l in the Book of Remembrance
- BQLI Miriam’s Seder
- Special Issue of Sisterhood Blast! celebrating Women’s History Month
- Challah with a Twist – along with United Parents
- Joint Fashion Show with other Queens Sisterhoods
We look forward to sharing another year of stimulating activities with you.
Transition House – May 23 – June 14 – There’s still a little time to donate to the spring-summer drive for Transition House shelter for families fleeing domestic violence. The residents would particularly appreciate donations of toiletries including bath soap bars, shopping carts, umbrellas, backpacks and summer clothes, toys, books, videos and beach towels. For further information and specific sizes, contact email@example.com.
Paid Up Membership Party and Installation of Officers – June 14 – after minyan – We’re having an end-of-year and start-of-summer party, complete with champagne, soft drinks and snacks. Join now and enjoy membership through June 2019.
Daytime Readers Group – July 12, 2018 – 1:30 PM– We are participating in One Book One New York and reading Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan with all book-lovers in New York. Anyone who loves to read is welcome to join this informal gathering and to suggest titles for future meetings. Couvert – $3 – There will be cookies! RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
Evening Book Discussion – Thursday, July 26 – after minyan– Sisterhood continues our tradition of a summer evening book discussion led by Gail Port. We are reading Karolina’s Twins by Ronald H. Balson .
On-going Exercise Classes – Walking, Posture, and Balance classes continue with Gerald Padilla, PT, DPT, CPT. Summer schedule is Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:45 AM. One class is $23; a 5-class package is $100.
Yoga with Lorain meets on Wednesday nights after minyan. If you want to participate, email email@example.com, or leave a note in the Sisterhood mailbox. For yoga, you can also contact Lorain Wankoff directly.
Woman of Achievement Gala – Thursday, June 7 – What a special night for FHJC Sisterhood! We honored Woman of Achievement Doria Kalt. Our own Anise Parnes was installed as BQLI Region President. We look forward to joining with Anise, the new board, and our sisters throughout the region in activities throughout the year.
If you have been reading about and enjoying all our exciting activities this year, now is the time to join for 2018-2019! Dues are $36 payable to The Forest Hills Jewish Center with Sisterhood dues on the memo line.
Sisterhood Co-Presidents: Debra Weil and Marcia Belgorod